Tuesday, September 3, 2013

In this post I attempt to convince you to like my least favorite genre of music.

One of the many misconceptions that I have found people make when it comes to music taste
is that those who write, produce, perform and listen to pop and hip hop music are unintelligent or don't know what real music is.
Because the music generally has heavy undertones of sex, alcoholism, drug abuse or is directed toward young audiences it is automatically considered "bad" music.
In reality the people who play a part in creating pop music are all extremely intelligent.
They create a catchy, simple lyric/melody combination and this is the kind of music that catches peoples attention.
There is a reason this industry is so successful.
I myself don't listen to this type of music often, but there was a time in my life when I did.
These people know their target audience and they know how to make money.
One of the reasons people so quickly dismiss this music genre is because there is rarely any lyrical depth.
There is a time and a place for lyrical depth and there is also a time and a place for lyrical simplicity.
Pop music is not created to bring a deeper meaning to the world or make people ponder.
This music is made to make people dance and sing, and it is very good at doing this.
I listen to a large arrangement of music and while pop isn't often a part of my listening sessions, there are times when I just want to dance around like an idiot to Beyoncé.
Congrats for knowing fifty different amazing indie bands and wow I can't believe you have time to listen to all of the classics.
But next time you try to write off pop music, just know that we ALL know that you sing Rihanna in your shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment