Wednesday, September 11, 2013

okay now stop asking.

"A sketchbook is a journal. It contains that which words cannot. An unspeakable truth. An un-recordable scripture."

I wrote that over two years ago in my first sketchbook ever.
I just found the page and I hardly remember writing that, but oh, how the words still strike.

I can hardly find the words that convey how strongly I feel about this, but it seems to be something that many people do not understand.
My sketchbook is not just a place that I go to when I feel like doodling sometimes.
It is a place that I go to when I need peace. I release every emotion I have into the thing, from happiness to frustration.
I write in it as well, making it a journal in the realest sense of the word.
There are many reasons that I keep my sketchbook private.
One of the reasons is what I have already written; it is a deep expression of emotion.
It is laden with secrets.
Another reason is that, quite frankly, some of the stuff I put in there really sucks. I keep my bad art decisions in my sketchbook to remind myself that mistakes happen and we learn from them.
So the next time someone asks me if they can go through my sketchbook I am going to say no. Straight up, no.
I put most of the stuff that I don't mind people seeing on the internet anyway, so what's the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment