Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Play On, it is the Food of Love.

Hello! Well today I just kind of want to talk about music. Lots of words will be linked to different songs in this one, so if you move your mouse over a word and it turns red, CLICK IT!

I have absolutely no musical talent and I don't play any instruments.
Regardless, music is a HUGE part of my life.
I don't think I have ever met someone who doesn't like music.
Everyone has a genre that they prefer over another, but no one hates music all together.
Sometimes the major reason I post on here is because I have a gorgeous song that I want to show you guys in the "Song of the Day" link that I always have.
Music in it's element has been around since the beginning of the human race.
I survive on music.
I do not go anywhere without it.
That being said, I have a very emotional connection with all of the music I listen to.
I have music that I listen to when I am angry,
sad,
in need of a cool down,
in need of inspiration,
and much much more.
I keep a journal that is addressed specifically to my future children, and at the end of every entry I put a song because based on the music now, the music in twenty years will be the sound of static mixed with horses running with the word "swag" every ten seconds.
I have a special hatred for today's radio.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for pop music.
It's just this cookie cutter pop.
Simple beats, auto tune, low bass.
Literally anyone can make that kind of music.
Not to mention the lyrics.
There is absolutely no thought put into these words, no emotion.
Every song that they play on the radio is about sex, drugs, alcohol or has some cute little message for thirteen year old girls.
Half of the people they play on the radio don't even write their own music. 
Except Ke$ha. And that really worries me more than most things.
Sure, I suppose they are good to dance to, but that's about it. 
Don't even get me started on rap.
I'm not even bashing the rap genre itself, because I am a fan.
But it's like now there is hardly a line between pop and rap anymore.
And these rappers use common sayings like: Swag, Get Money, etc.
If you have swag, why do you need to tell the world in every song about it?
And profanities are just thrown in left and right, making them completely lose any sort of meaning and allowing the kids who listen to their music to use them in every day speech.
Since when does using the F-word every two seconds shows "swag" and since when does "swag" get you anywhere in life?
Remember when rap had meaning?
The only reason the music on the radio is so popular is because:
1. It's catchy and easy to sing along to.
2. Everyone listens to it and people have forgotten what real music is.
3. It's simple music for the poorly emotionally developed and high. (aka almost every 13 year old in America)
I take deep pride and love in my taste in music.
I hope this inspires more to think about the music they listen to and contemplate whether or not it is really worth listening to.

Thanks for reading! Did you find all of the links? There are eight songs all together. I hope you enjoy at least one of them! I tried to fit several genres in there. No song of the day today because there are so many good ones above! 
I love you. 
*Disclaimer: I realize that the Shakespeare quote is not correct in the title. This is because I have put my own spin on it. It is only based on the quote itself. I do that. Get over it.*

No comments:

Post a Comment