Monday, February 6, 2012

Imperfections Abound

Something I think we should all strive for is the ability to say, "I love everyone."
Now, when I was a little crouton, or I suppose you could say, "A small carb in a big carb world", I would say that.
I would tell my little brother that I love everyone and so should he.
He would reply, rather adorably, "Even Hitler?" and I would say,
"Yep, even Hitler."
That is a beautiful thing.
The ability to love so unconditionally.
Even when the person you should love killed thousand and thousands of people.
I feel as if this is a concept that is more openly accepted among the naive at heart.
The world struggles these days with love.
It is a word that we hear often from our parents, our close friends.
We hear it in movies.
What does it mean?
Upon searching the word in a dictionary, I found that love has many meanings.
It may possibly be too general.
Here's one that is more specific:
Tolerance.
According to the dictionary: 
fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.
In other words,
Letting someone be who they are.
We don't even have to like what they are doing.
We don't even have to accept them.
I suppose that what I am getting at is that we don't tolerate each other enough.
Or at all, sometimes.
We see it often in our community when it comes to different sexual orientations.
We may not agree with or understand the fact that a man is more capable of loving another man more than a woman.
But why,
why
should it matter?
Everyone has their imperfection.
I am imperfect.
My imperfection is probably that I am just too good looking.
Haha.
Just kidding.
The point is,
If someone is a good person,
If someone is nice and funny and happy,
than who are we to say that they are wrong? 
Even if we think they are,
Why can't we just let them be themselves?
And usually we struggle accepting someone because of much less.
We don't think they are pretty enough.
We think they are too pretty.
They speak out of turn.
They think differently than we do.
They have a different opinion on something than we do.
They live a different religion.
They dress differently.
Can't we just focus on what is on the inside?
Yeah, yeah. The cheese factory just exploded. 
But seriously.
Before we can say, "I love everyone."
We can try to say, "I accept you for who you are. And I am willing to learn to love you."
Thank you so much for reading.
                -Megan

Pure Beauty:

No comments:

Post a Comment